Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Moving Mountains


When we moved to Spruce Pine from Chapel Hill in 2007, I had to put all my cute sandals aside and wear sneakers 24/7. On top of that blow to my inner Barbie, I developed really bad plantar fasciitis (the doc called it plan-tar fash- itis) in my right foot, which because I had no time to rest during the frenzy of moving, became so inflamed I could barely walk. When my husband Pat and I would go for evening strolls by the Toe River, I felt like I was using a new, unruly set of feet; they behaved unpredictably. I had to think about each footfall.

Hadn’t I asked to learn to live in the present; wasn’t this the goal of my most earnest prayers and meditations? Yes, but I had forgotten that most life lessons are orchestrated by that wise teacher, pain. What happened to me? I slowed down, because I had to. I started looking around. Where was I? In the Blue Ridge Mountains. Surprise, Surprise, as Gomer Pyle used to say. Not an Old Navy or a Starbucks in sight. The only chain store in our sleepy town is a Walmart, and it is a hub of homey activity: bake sales outside the doors on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, kind senior citizens who serve as greeters at the doors.

While my foot was healing I ducked into a store to look for some sensible supportive sandals. I’d been suffering from plantar fasciitis, I told the salesgirl, who furrowed her forehead. “I had somethin’ like that,” she said. “But it was called Planetary Faskee-eyeteez.” We stared at each other. She laughed. “I guess that’s the mountain way of callin’ it,” she said.

I have loads more to learn about the mountain way. It means dropping the notion that a Masters Degree from Chapel Hill is anything more than a certificate proving I have experience in only one domain of life. There are mountain schools of mystery about which I know nothing: like the names of the early and late spring cycles, the signs of a cold winter, the unlikelihood that plants will grow under a black walnut tree, the dangers of eating a mushroom that’s grown on a hemlock.



4 comments:

One Man and his Dogs said...

Bit like my experience in moving to rural Wales after thirty plus years of city life. Not only is the pace of life different in a rural area, so is the philosophy of living (doubly so in what is in effect another country). But the experience and learning process are so enriching. And it does get easier -eventually ;-)

McCotta's Blog said...

It seems to me that rural Wales has a bit more to offer in return for the adjustment it demands of a newcomer. Right now I am stewing in the tee-totaling, right wing Republican conservative Baptist atmosphere. Seems these folks staked their claim to these beautiful hills a few generations ago. After they killed off the Indians. Do I sound bitter? Heck, yes. But thanks for the encouragement.

One Man and his Dogs said...

Depends a bit on which part of Wales I think.There are at least two different "Wales". "Welsh Wales", in the far west, is strongly Welsh in language and culture,, and, apart from the lack of Indians, dead or alive, is not disssimilar in some of its attitudes to some of those you are experiencing.I think English people like me often find it very hard to settle there.

Fortunately"Welsh Wales" tends to dilute the further east you go . I'm about five miles out of "Welsh Wales", and its just about survivable. Actually p[arts of rural England are worse so far as "incomers" are concerned.

You may fnd things improve after McCain/Palin get their just desserts on 4 Nov. The rabble-rousing they are trying probably stirs the prejudice of some of these characters.

One Man and his Dogs said...

Forgot o say I had to change my blogging name from John because some of the Welsh were after me. Maybe they are more like the North Carolinians (is that what they're called?) than I thought :-) Good luck anyway. As my old mother used to say: "things can only get better." Not that they usually did....

John